PHI’s Research Associate supports PHI’s strategy for building the evidence base on state and national policies and workforce interventions that improve the quality of direct care jobs and long-term services and supports for older adults and people with disabilities. In collaboration with PHI’s Senior Research & Evaluation Associate and PHI’s Vice President (VP) of Research & Evaluation, this position is responsible for implementing applied research projects, with a particular focus on quantitative projects and analyses. This position will also maintain and expand key PHI research resources, including but not limited to the Workforce Data Center and State Policy Index.
- Working closely with PHI’s Senior Research & Evaluation Associate, contribute to the design and ongoing development of PHI’s research and evaluation agenda, with particular responsibility for implementation of quantitative projects and analyses.
- Conduct research and analysis on issues and initiatives affecting direct care jobs, workforce outcomes, and care outcomes using a range of primary and secondary data sources and research methodologies, with a focus on quantitative data collection and analysis.
- Maintain and expand PHI’s Workforce Data Center and State Policy Index, including by conducting analyses for regular updates and introducing new variables and analyses.
- Support the timely generation of workforce data, analyses, and/or technical assistance in response to internal and external requests from a range of external partners, including researchers, policymakers, funders, advocates, worker organizations, and providers.
- In collaboration with PHI’s Workforce Innovation Team and other PHI leadership, provide research support for the evaluation of PHI’s workforce interventions.
- Support the drafting and production of key research materials, including reports, issue briefs, fact sheets, blog articles, peer-reviewed journal articles, interactive online resources, and more.
- Contribute to efforts to bring an equity lens to PHI’s research and evaluation activities and to build and strengthen PHI’s Direct Care Workforce Equity Institute.
- Help identify and cultivate potential research partners and funders to support PHI’s research and evaluation agenda.
- Represent PHI in internal and external meetings, where appropriate, such as staff retreats, meetings, webinars, conferences, and workgroups, and communicate directly with members of the media as appropriate, including by providing research materials and/or giving interviews.
- Experienced quantitative or mixed-methods researcher specializing in applied research.
- Demonstrated proficiency in conducting quantitative research, including managing large datasets and employing a range of statistical analysis techniques.
- Fluency in statistical programming language(s), such as Stata, R, Python, SPSS, or SAS (with Stata proficiency preferred). Additional proficiencies, such as Tableau, Power BI, SQL a plus.
- Experience obtaining and using public survey data, particularly the American Community Survey and Current Population survey. Experience with Medicare, Medicaid, or other consumer-related data preferred.
- Familiarity with principles of original survey design, data collection and cleaning, and analysis.
- Excellent writing skills, with demonstrated ability to distill and simplify complex research findings for a wide range of audiences and in a variety of formats.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, especially in a remote-working context.
- Excellent project and time management skills.
- Demonstrated interest in policies and interventions related to the direct care workforce, aging and disability, and long-term services and supports.
- Advanced degree in public policy or administration, public health, education, political science, sociology, or a related field and at least 2 years of professional experience in public policy research or related field preferred. Equivalent combinations of degree and experience will be considered.
The position reports to PHI’s Senior Research & Evaluation Associate.
PHI’s national headquarters are at 261 Madison Avenue, Suite 913, New York, NY, 10016. Remote candidates will be considered for this position.
PHI is a national organization committed to strengthening the direct care workforce by producing reliable research and analysis, leading federal and state advocacy initiatives, and designing groundbreaking workforce interventions and models. For 30 years, we have brought a 360-degree perspective on the long-term care sector to our evidence-informed strategies throughout the country.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time, salaried position with a base salary range of $70,000 – $86,000 per year, commensurate with skills and experience.
PHI provides a comprehensive benefits package effective on the date of hire. Health benefits include: a sponsored medical plan, an employer-paid dental plan, and an optional vision insurance plan. In addition, PHI offers: basic life insurance, an EAP, a 401(k), flexible spending plans for medical, dependent care, and commuter expenses; 27 days of earned leave, paid holidays, a holiday break at the end of December, family leave, parental leave, professional development, and cell phone reimbursement.
To apply, email a cover letter with your resumé to info@PHInational.org. Please indicate “Research Associate” in the subject line.
Application deadline: November 10, 2023.
PHI is committed to ensuring a diverse staff. Women, people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ+ people, older adults, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, creed, religion, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, transgender status, marital status, national origin, domestic violence victim status, genetic information, disability or handicap, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law.