New Jersey Home Care Agency Shuttered for Employing Uncertified Home Health Aides
Infinity Healthcare LLC, a home care agency based in Somers Point, New Jersey, ceased operations and its owner was “permanently enjoined from operating any similar business,” following a New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs investigation that uncovered multiple violations.
The Division found that none of the Infinity Healthcare employees were certified by the State Board of Nursing to practice as home health aides. The agency employed 20 to 50 employees, according to an online business site.
“Any home health care company that sends uncertified and unqualified employees to patients’ homes, or fails to evaluate the care received by its clients, is committing an unconscionable violation of the public’s trust — and of New Jersey’s laws,” said New Jersey Attorney General Jeffrey S. Chiesa, who announced the agency closure.
Other company violations cited by the Division include failing to:
- match each client’s specific care needs with the qualifications of the aide assigned to the client;
- verify the license status of each aide prior to referral or placement;
- verify each employee’s license status or work history;
- establish a written plan of care for each patient;
- conduct a 30-day client health review;
- conduct a 60-day on-site in home evaluation; and
- keeping adequate records of employees’ activities or patient care.
The agency’s president and owner, Jerome Kurmas, signed a Consent Order (pdf) with the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs on January 9.
In March 2012, Consumer Affairs inspectors conducted an inspection of Infinity Healthcare and interviewed Kurmas and reviewed company documents, a press release issued by Chiesa states.
The Consumer Affairs investigation is part of a larger effort to determine whether home health care agencies are complying with consumer protection laws, NJTODAY.net reports.
“I commend the Division of Consumer Affairs for acting to protect the public from substandard care,” Chiesa said.
— by Deane Beebe