Sign Up to Receive PHI Alerts

Home Health Agencies Conducted Background Checks of Varying Types

Report
May 21, 2015

This report analyzes the background-check policies and outcomes at 99 Medicare-certified home health agencies across the country. The study shows that 83 percent of agencies performed background checks on all prospective employees, while the remaining 17 percent conducted checks only on specific groups of employees (for example, home health aides). It also found that nearly half of agencies employed a worker with a criminal record, although it points out that not all criminal convictions disqualify workers from employment. Less than 6 percent of “home health aides, certified nurse assistants, or other home care assistants” had been convicted of a crime.

View Report

Key Takeaways

"All home health agencies conducted background checks of varying types on prospective employees."
"Four percent of home health agency employees had at least one criminal conviction."
"We recommend that the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) promote minimum standards in background check procedures."
 
Share This

Caring for the Future

Our new policy report takes an extensive look at today's direct care workforce—in five installments.

Workforce Data Center

From wages to employment statistics, find the latest data on the direct care workforce.